Friday, February 1, 2008

A Tribute

I know that everyone has heard and read much about the recent passing of our beloved prophet President Gordon B. Hinkley. I have struggled with my thoughts of what I could say that could add meaning and value to the flood of support and sympathy that has been offered. I decided that what I can do is offer my thanks and pay tribute to a man whose teachings and example helped me to serve as a better missionary, be a better friend, a better mother, a better companion. Because of him, I LOVE the Book of Mormon, I LOVE Germany (mind you, I promised myself I would NEVER go there, let alone to serve a mission there!), and I live in a small town just MINUTES away from a temple where I may worship and receive the blessings of eternity. So, although I never met him, and never talked to him, he knew me, and knew just what I needed through the course of his 18 years as prophet, seer and revelator. I look forward to the day when I can meet him, and thank him for helping me to stand a little taller, and be a little better.
I also want to pay tribute to my grandmother who passed away on Tuesday. I remember when I was younger she told me "Don't have any regrets". I have never forgotten that. I find myself thinking now "If Only..."; If only I could have had just one more summer evening with her on the front porch swing, making jokes and laughing about life; If only I could have just one more piece of advice on how to raise good children, and be a good mother; if only I could have just one more chance to tell her I love her...
But I would still not be satisfied. So, I love you, Grandma. I love you for your example- I hope that I can be like you someday. I know that I will see you again- I can promise you that I will do all that I can to make sure that happens. But knowing that doesn't make it any easier that you are gone. Please give Grandpa a hug and a kiss from us too. Our greatest joy now is knowing that you are together again, and that one day, we'll be home, with you.

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

I'm so sorry to hear of the passing of your grandmother! I still miss mine and she's been gone over ten years now. And it's hard to imagine a world without Pres. Hinckley in it! He has been the most influential prophet in my life and I will miss him so much! Anyway, that is a neat picture of you and Grace with your grandma. You will treasure it forever!

Perry's said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandma - that is never easy. My prayers are with you! However, isn't it wonderful the knowledge we have of the Plan of Salvation - I absolutely love it! What great tributes to a wonderful woman and man who are now both with their sweethearts. What better people to go ahead of us and prepare the way for when we will join them. I really appreciated your thoughts Amy - thanks!

Sam said...

I love you! Thank you for sharing these thoughts. You are so wonderful.

Unknown said...

THanks so much for your comments Sherri, and Steph! I agree about President Hinkley 100%, and my grandmother was a woman of his same caliber. I am so happy for them. The world lost 2 good people this week- but it IS nice to have their examples to follow- I would be a very different person without them both in my life, and I will be eternally grateful!

Shiree said...

It sounds like it's been a hard week for you, Amy. It's good that we have the gospel to bring us peace though, isn't it? I can't beleive all of the blessings that it brings to us.
On a completely unrelated note, though, I love the music that you have posted on your site. "The Girl From Ipanema" is one of my favorites and I was surprised that you knew it. Louis Armstrong is so awesome, too!

Alan & Allison said...

Our condolences about your Grandmother. Thanks for your thoughts and your testimony. Our prayers are with you during this time.