Saturday, September 15, 2007

Reading is to the Mind What Exercise is to the Body ~Sir Richard Steele

I think the title pretty much sums it up. I LOVE a good book!
I just finished Gilead, by Marilynne Robinson. I am sorry to say that I wasn't as dedicated to reading it as I should have been or would have liked. It is not one of those books that you can simply pick up and escape reality, though it's storyline does provide that; it's as though you are in the very center of the mind of a small town preacher, with all of his struggles, joys, thoughts and even misunderstandings. I am not very articulate when it comes to accurately describing the essence of this book, but I am glad to have had the privilege of reading it. I guess that means you'll have to read it yourself.
I love how a good book can inspire, uplift and increase one's understanding, emotions and faith. "Seek ye out of the best books..." as we are taught- I think this book can be classified as a best book.
One more thing...I have always loved finding a good quote on any particular topic. Here's one that's applicable to this topic of conversation:
The happiest people are those who think the most interesting thoughts. Those who decide to use leisure as a means of mental development, who love good music, good books, good pictures, good company, good conversation, are the happiest people in the world. And they are not only happy in themselves, they are the cause of happiness in others.
William Lyon Phelps
HAPPY READING!

3 comments:

Sean and Laura said...

I am glad you like the book. I always love your quotes.

Perry's said...

Amy - so you want another good book to read? Apparently the trilogy called Twilight is amazing everyone I talk to recommends it. They say it's about vampires and so most people don't want to read it but once you do it's awesome. So... I have given in and it's going to be my next one, you should look into it.

Love
Sherri

Amanda said...

Hey Amy! I just thought to check your blog and it was so fun "catch up". Thanks so much for calling me on my birthday. The message made me laugh, I loved it. It sounds like you are doing well. We miss you like crazy here! Oh, and I read the first in the Twilight series. It was good, sort of cheesy, but good! :) Talk to ya soon