Tuesday, September 11, 2007

"Energy and Persistence Conquer All Things" ~ Benjamin Franklin

I have been trying to think of a good way to describe how things are going here- particularly for Sam in his classes. He is frustrated because one class seems very unnecessary... and yet he goes on. He may think that a particular subject is worthless at this stage in his education, but he will stay up until all hours of the night just to make sure he knows how to do what is required. He is so committed to this vision he sees of where he wants to be in the future, and not even a terrible class can sway his motivation. So, I just wanted to brag about him, and thank him for the wonderful example he is to me about not giving up. So many dreams are easily forgotten because we don't take that first step into the water and just TRY. I am very guilty of that myself- and I am thankful for the motivation you give me Sam, to just keep going. It WILL get better, or easier- it has to. :)

As for Grace and I- we are finding educational activities to fill our days instead of going to the grocery store, or Wal-Mart (Heaven forbid!) to walk around. Mondays or Tuesdays we do the grocery shopping; Tuesdays is story time at Pottery Barn. We went for the first time today, and it was great. Grace didn't necessarily pay attention to the story, but she was intrigued by the occasional bright picture, and sat contently in my lap with her board book and a cracker. Every other Friday the public library does story time also, so we are planning on that also. The weather is cooling off- so it's easier to want to go outside in the afternoons; and when it's hot a lot of women gather with their kids in the lobby of one of the apartment buildings and let them run around while we visit. That has actually proved very motivating for Grace since that is where she got frustrated enough to crawl. Now she's curious about everything! And we love it! :)

One more thing- A very good friend Tiffany Evans' father, passed away from a long battle with cancer. I was so sad to hear that; I can only imagine the heartache she must be feeling. But just so you know Tiff, he has left an indelible impression on many who don't even know him- just because I know you. You said he was always happy, always positive, no matter how bad it got, and you are the same way. Thank you for the great example of faith and happiness that you are to us. And, I love you, Dad. I love you, Sam.

6 comments:

Sean and Laura said...

You always find the best quotes. I Agree about Sam

Stephanie said...

Ames, thanks for the comment you left on my blog! It is so nice to know that someone understands. You're right about persistence, though. That's what motherhood is all about! And that's what being a student is all about. Come to think of it, I guess persistence applies to just about anything in life that is challenging. Anyhow, it sounds like you're getting into a routine these days and that's awesome. I like that, myself. When are you coming to visit? I would LOVE it if you came to see us. Your parents still love in (is it W. Bountiful?), right? Take care!

James Evans said...

Hey Ames! Thanks so much! You don't know how much what you said means to me, (and my dad too I'm sure...). He truly was a great example of persistance... And so were you all those early morning workouts with me! I still think of you and try to run a little faster, and bike a little harder, and breathe a little better...

Tiff-E said...

That was supposed to be from me, Tiff, not James...oops!

Perry's said...

Hey Amy-
It's Sherri. You blog is so cute we love it. It's nice to see how things are going since it is so hard to keep in touch. Grace is so cute, we miss you guys. Let get together soon. We have a blog now too if you want to check it out it is ssperry.blogspot.com.

Avery said...

One thing I've learned about being a mom is it makes you cry at all the little things :D This is a beautiful post, thanks for being so honest. You have some good suggestions for fun time, I'll have to get some more when Brea's older! I'm glad you're doing good!